Northeast PA food banks available to help residents
NORTHEAST, PA (Nov. 5, 2012) – The American Red Cross has been receiving numerous phone calls from the public asking about financial assistance for food or replacement of groceries lost during the recent power outages. While it would be nearly impossible, both logistically and financially, for the Red Cross to replace groceries for that many people, there are other agencies that can help.
Residents may call their major food bank distributor in Northeast Pennsylvania or call 2-1-1 (1-855-501-6785) for a list of food banks in their area.
Below is a list of Northeast Pennsylvania counties and contact information for major food banks within the counties:
- Lehigh, Northampton, Carbon, Wayne, Pike and Monroe counties: Please call Second Harvest Food Bank at (610) 434-0875 or visit www.shfblv.org for a list of food banks in your neighborhood. For Lehigh and Northampton counties residents only, disaster boxes filled with nonperishable food are being distributed. Residents must pick up the boxes at 2045 Harvest Way in Allentown, Monday-Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Berks and Schuylkill counties,call the Greater Berks Food Bank at (610) 926-5802.
- Lackawanna, Wyoming, Susquehanna, and Luzerne counties,call Weinberg Food Bank at (570) 826-0510.
- Bradford and Sullivan counties, callthe Williamsport Food Bank at (570) 321-8023.
- Columbia County and Montour counties, call Central Pennsylvania Food Bank at (717) 564-1700 or (570) 321-8023.